The Optimum Institute of Economic Empowerment (OIEE) Partners with George Soros Open Society Institute to Produce the “Less Talk…More Action Tour” in 13 U.S. Cities.
New York, NY (January 12, 2012) – As Elvis Presley once sang, “A little less conversation….a little more action please.” Ryan Mack (President of OIEE, Author, and National Media Commentator) won’t be singing but he has decided to put those words into action…..literally. The “Less Talk…More Action” Economic Empowerment Tour (“LTMA”), sponsored by the George Soros Open Society Institute, focuses on using financial literacy as a primary tool of empowerment for African American and Latino communities.
The tour which was created in direct response to economic hardships faced by the African American and Hispanic communities as a result of a lagging economy will traverse the U.S. making stops in as many as 13 cities with the possibility of adding more. “We have assembled a dynamic team of world renowned experts to create tangible solutions to multifaceted economic hardships that continue to hurt minority communities,” said Ryan Mack, President of OIEE. “The tour will expand beyond the traditional definition of financial literacy to also tackle pervasive issues within our communities that continue to plague our bottom line such as unemployment, incarceration, and education. Key elements such as credit repair, planning for retirement, budgeting, and other crucial/traditional measures of financial literacy all need to have a stronger presence if African Americans and Latinos are to advance economically,” added Mack.
The tour kicked off last year on October 27, 2011 in New York, NY followed by Detroit, MI on November 10 and Atlanta, GA on November 18. The next stop on the tour will be New Orleans, LA on January 27-29, 2012. As the name states, the “Less Talk….More Action Tour” offers tangible solutions to economically empower communities such as:
- Financial literacy workshops taught to hundreds of minorities in prisons, shelters, public housing residents, churches, unions, youth programs, and more through every city.
- Town hall meetings which focus on highlighting the local experts doing the work on the ground in each city in the areas of financial literacy, education, employment, and incarceration.
- 100 Black and Hispanic owned video testimonies on the “Less Talk…More Action” website (www.lesstalkmoreaction.info) which will serve the purpose of highlighting businesses in the community worthy of support.
- A “Train the Trainer” program which recruits at least 10 trainers in every city to use the curriculum to train others and ignite a movement of financial literacy discussions.
- A “Money Movement” (www.moneymovement.org) geared to merge financial literacy with popular culture while recruiting 1000s of urban residents in every city to take the “pledge” to be fiscally responsible.
- A book “Never Going Back” which uses testimonies of experts from across the country to empower incarcerated and formerly incarcerated with the tools they need to integrate back into society.
- A book “From Victim to Victory” which galvanizes Black financial experts from across the country to provide a tangible economic road map towards creating the next phase of the civil rights movement to be fought on an economic front.
- A book “Dollars and Sense” which is filled with testimonies from educators across the country that have achieved academic success despite harsh environments of the inner city neighborhoods. The purpose of this book will be to provide a tangible demonstration of best practices for other educators to follow as a model as well as inspire others to infuse financial literacy into their curriculum.
As previously mentioned, the “LTMA” tour has assembled a dynamic team that has dedicated itself to removing the obstacles to economic empowerment within African American and Latino communities. Calling themselves, “Ambassadors of Action”, the following individuals along with Ryan Mack will be present during all or most of the tour:
Ambassador of Financial Literacy – Manyell Akinfe, SVP of Optimum Capital Management, Creator of the Money Movement, and National Financial Commentator
Ambassador of Justice – Dr. Boyce Watkins, PHD in Finance, Financial Expert, Social Commentator, and Author
Ambassador of Employment – Andrew Morrison, Founder of Small Business Camp, Direct Marketing Consultant and Author
Ambassador of Education – Dr. Chris Emdin, PHD in Urban Education, Director of Secondary School Initiatives for Urban Science Education Center at Columbia University, and Author
Additionally, in each city, the tour will be recruiting local volunteers, organizations, churches, corporations and other stakeholders to help activate the tour and ensure its success.
Any groups, organizations or volunteers interested in joining the effort should contact the offices of LMM Communications, Inc., at (414) 389-9906 or email LMAXWELL@LMMCOMMUNICATIONS.com. In addition, any corporations interested in sponsorship or engaging their employees in volunteering for the tour should also contact the office for more information or visit the tour’s website at www.lesstalkmoreaction.info.
About The Optimum Institute of Economic Empowerment
OIEE has a mission to create and implement tangible economic empowerment programs. As a change agent OIEE will develop and administer programs that will focus on teaching and increasing exposure to principles of financial literacy within communities of need. Working individually and also in collaboration with other community constituents, OIEE believes that individuals, businesses and communities can be educated to understand and adhere to those financial principles which will serve as a solid foundation for future economic growth and sustainability.